Please review all the information below carefully.  These items will need to be brought with you at the time of your interview. RHA staff may conduct third party verification of any information provided on an as needed basis.


1.   Application:  Your application forms must be completed before your interview date or your appointment will be rescheduled.  This includes the Personal Declaration and citizenship declaration papers.


 2.   Income Verification:  Complete the Personal Declaration form and bring with it written verification for everyone 18 years or older who will be living in your household.  Verification must be current.  Bring original documents, not copies.  Income generally includes, but is not limited to:

  • Employment : Paystubs or employer verification for last 3 months - if income varies, you should bring stubs for the last 12 months
  • Unemployement Benefits: A statement from the Washington State Employment Security Department which shows your weekly benefit amount, your maximum benefits payable, and the date payments began
  • Public Assistance (Welfare): Provide current DSHS income verification
  • Social Security: Current Social Security income verification. Social Security office 1-800-772-1213
  • V.A. Benefits (if applicable): Veteran's Administration 1-800-827-1000
  • Railroad Retirement (if applicable): Call 1-206-553-5483 for statement of verification
  • Civil Service Retirement (if applicable): Write to the U.S. Office of Personnel Management, Civil Service Retirement System, P.O. Box 440, Boyers, PA  16017-0440 for verification of your monthly benefit
  • Worker's/Injury Compensation: A statement from the Department of Labor and Industries, insurance company, law firm, etc., which shows your awarded amount
  • Alimony, Regular Contributions or Gifts: A copy of the court order in the case of alimony or a statement from any charity, private relief organization, individual or family member who gives you any regular contributions or gifts
  • Child Support: A statement from the Office of Support Enforcement (OSE) which shows payments for the last six months (disregard if you are on Public Assistance).  Informal support payments not administered through OSE must be verified with a statement from both you and the absent parent
  • Armed Forces: A statement of all regular pay, special payments and allowances received by a member of the Armed Forces (includes National Guard and Reserves)
  • Interest, Dividends, Stocks, Bonds, CD's Trusts, etc. and Income from Real Estate, IRA's, etc.: Money from annuities, insurance policies, retirement income, pensions, disability or death benefits. (Annuities should show current balance and rate of interest, i.e. 5%, 5.3%, etc.  If you are drawing on an annuity, you need to show your gross monthly draw)
  • No Income: A statement from: 1) Employment Security; 2) DSHS (Welfare); and 3) Social Security, for you and each member of your household over 18 years old which states you have no income


3.   Bank Account Statements (checking/savings, etc.) and Assets:  Bring your last six months bank statement(s) from all bank accounts.  This includes, but is not limited to: checking accounts, savings accounts, certificate of deposit, IRA's, U.S. Savings Bonds, trust funds, stock, capitol investments, insurance policies, or equity in real property or other financial investments.


4.   Landlord References:  We will verify the last four years of rental history, so you should bring your current and previous landlord's name, phone number, mailing address, including zip code, and the dates you lived there.


5.   Professional References:  You can provide professional references that have known you for at least six months. These may include doctors, counselors, case/social workers, employers, clergy, teachers, etc.  These individuals may write a letter on your behalf explaining how they know you, your character, and why they believe you will be a good tenant.  They cannot be relatives or friends.


6.   Deductions and Allowances (if eligible):  If you or a member of your household is elderly (62+), or has a handicap or disability, and you pay for medical insurance and/or other medical expenses, you may be eligible for a deduction.

  • Medical Insurance & Expenses: Bring payment stubs, canceled checks, or money order receipts from your provider (Blue Cross, Blue Shield, AARP, etc.), hospital or doctor bills for the last 12 months; and payment agreements for bills that have not been paid
  • Medications: Bring a detailed and dated computer printout from your pharmacy that lists your current medications; how much you take; how many pills in a bottle and how much the prescription costs you as the consumer from the last 12 months
  • Disability: If you are applying by yourself and you are younger than 62 years of age, you must be disabled in order to qualify as a priority 1.  If so, you must provide a statement of disability verification from your doctor or primary care provider.  The letter must include their name, address and phone number.  RHA has a form available to assist in gathering this information upon request
  • Child Care: If you or a member of your household is employed and pay for child care, bring canceled checks or money order receipts and a statement from the provider of any child care subsidy (DSHS, City of Renton, employer, etc.).  You will be asked to declare this expense in a signed statement which will be verified by your child care provider
  • Student: Verification of current school registration for full-time students 18 years or older


8.   Picture Identification:  RHA must be able to confirm who you say you are.  Provide picture identification for all family members 18 years and older. Examples: driver's license or State identification card.


7.   Authorization for the Release of Information (HUD-9886) & FEDERAL PRIVACY ACT:

You, as head-of-household, and all others who will be living with you who are 18 years or older must sign and date this form.  (see attached)


9. Declaration of Citizenship or Immigration Status:  You, as head-of-household, and all others who will be living with you who are 18 years or older must sign and date this form.  If you or others in your household are declaring Eligible Immigration Status, you will be required to provide a copy of your INS card and sign the "Verification Consent Form." (RHA citizenship declaration forms will be provided for you to complete.)


Copyright 2016 Renton Housing Authority  / Contact Us  /  Site Map  / Website Feedback

TTY 1-800-833-6388