RENTCafe for Landlords

Our new RENTCafe Portal is designed for landlords to access information quickly right at your fingertips.

In RENTCafe you can:

  1. Review and update your contact information

  2. View payment transactions on your ledger

  3. View your unit information

  4. View your caseworker’s information

If you would like to sign up for the RENTCafe, just email your request to to get started.

Listing a Property

Landlords wishing to list available units or properties within the Renton city limits can go here and register for the service through the King County Housing Authority. You can call their toll free number: 1-877-428-8844.

Section 8 - Housing Choice Voucher Program

The Renton Housing Authority (RHA) Section 8 applicant waitlist is opened and closed depending on the availability of Housing Choice Vouchers. At this time, the applicant waitlist is closed.

Housing Choice Voucher program consists of two different program types. A tenant based voucher allows voucher recipients to choose and rent units from private landlords and owners. A project based voucher is tied to a designated unit that has been already designated with a voucher.

In both cases, the Housing Authority pays a fixed amount of the rent to the landlord each month while the tenant pays the difference between this subsidy and the total rent (in addition to any utilities not included in the rent). The tenant typically pays between 28%-40% of their annual income in monthly rent depending on their income.

The program does not place limits on the amount of rent you can charge, but rents must be comparable to similar units in the same area. You may apply to raise the rent after a tenant's first full year of occupancy.

Program Benefits

Timely Payments
Part of the families rent will come from the Housing Authority; these Housing Assistance Payments will arrive at the same time each month – this allows low-income families afford a place to live while providing you with dependable source of income.

Flexibility and Stability
If something happens in the families financial situation, the Housing Authority can decrease the family’s portion of rent and increase the Housing Assistance portion, so that you never miss a beat, helping create fewer missed payments.

Routine Inspections
The Housing Authority routinely does inspections to make sure that the family is living in a safe and healthy environment, this way problems can be brought to your attention sooner and can be taken care of faster.

Reviews and Inspections

Annual Reviews
Every year Renton Housing Authority verifies tenant's income to make sure that families remain eligible for the program and that they are paying the correct rent amount. At this review, the tenant's income is re-evaluated and the housing authority recalculates (if necessary) the amount of assistance for which they are eligible.

The Renton Housing Authority just recently went to a biennial inspection format. This means that after the initial inspection, tenant's units are inspected every other year. The housing authority conducts these inspections to insure compliance with the US Department of Housing and Urban Development's Housing Quality Standards. The unit must pass inspection in order for it to continue to receive assistance.

If you would like further information on the the inspection process and requirements please refer to the Landlord Handbook.

Helpful Resources

You can find some helpful information for landlords at the links below.

HCV Program Training for Landlords
Frequently Asked Questions
Revised Code of Washington - Landlord Duties
Washington State Bar Association - Landlord & Tenant Booklet
Washington Landlord Tenant Info
10 Day Notice to Comply or Vacate
Serving Eviction Notices

Also visit our Documents page for useful forms and documentation.

We are an Equal Housing Opportunity Provider. We provide housing without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, physical or mental handicap, familial status, national origin, or other protected class. To file a complaint of discrimination, write HUD Director, Office of Civil Rights, 451 7th Street S.W., Washington, D.C. 20410 or call Customer Service at (202) 708-1112 (voice) or (202) 708-1455 (TTY). HUD is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

In accordance with federal law and United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex or familial status. To file a complaint of discrimination, write HUD Director, Office of Civil Rights, 451 7th Street S.W., Washington, DC 20410, or call (202) 708-1112 (voice) or (202) 708-1455 (TDD).